Saturday, 24 December 2011

CSP Report 24th December

Chesterfield Street Pastors
Report for Saturday  24th December 2011

Outline Information
Two groups of four patrolled from 10 pm until 3 am with George (trained but not commissioned)  joining Team One to observe.

We were supported by three Prayer Pastors. It was a very quiet night, mainly young people out, and with a party atmosphere on the whole, a few scuffles later on with males trying to escort mates who were worse for wear out of town. Once again there was little aggression and most people were enjoying themselves in small groups. The response to what we were about was positive and warm on the whole.

As it was quiet we used the time, particularly when we first went out, to chat with uniform and staff in fast food outlets. The taxi drivers who were unusually quiet were also pleased to talk. We began to appreciate their long and unsocial hours with the resulting effect on their family life, particularly at Christmas time for those with young children.

Statistical Information
2 pairs of flip-flops given out
3 bottles of water given out
32 bottles/glasses picked up and made safe
1 space blanket provided
1 first aid call
15 significant conversations

Narrative information.
We left base after prayer and preparation in high spirits and suitably lit up and festive! As we arrived in the market place we saw two youths blocking off that end of the market, outside the London Camera Centre with the market stall trestles that were stacked up there. We shouted to them asking what they thought they were doing, at which time they ran off. We re-stacked the trestles while they watched from a distance, then they disappeared up through  the nearby alley.

At the briefing, staff remarked that in all probability, it would be a quiet night with early doors. Which turned out to be the case. SIN was closed and the Courtyard closed unusually early. We spent most of the shift in Corporation Street, with regular walks through the Churchyard and around the back, near the Derbyshire Times where there are normally plenty of bottles and recently several broken ones.

We had some interesting conversations with young males who in a couple of instances wanted to talk religion. We told them we were not out to give them sermons but instead we got them ourselves. At the end of one of these, the young man in question, on finding out that Ian and Yvonne were married, insisted on a “family hug!”. We were also treated to several enlightening talks about evolution and Darwin by two very eloquent young men and it was good to have the time to listen.

We had several conversations with young people who talked of the difficulties of having to decide which parent to spend Christmas Day with when the family was split, and the feeling of being torn between the two.
We responded to two calls, one from CCTV, the other from uniform. The first, to team 2, asked us to  go to a girl who had fallen in the road outside Isis Noir. When we got there she had been helped to her feet and was being supported by two young men. The two female team members asked if these males were with her. They said no but they were just looking after her while she tried to ring her mates who were still inside the venue. She told us she was fine, and didn’t need us. One of the males whispered, “she isn’t fine can you stick around?” She was clearly very emotional as well as drunk, so we said we would stay and the good Samaritans went on their way. Eventually, with the help of a passing police officer, we contacted her Dad by phone. He arrived after 30 minutes or so to collect her. During the waiting time she told us she was upset after recently losing her Grandad and had lost her sister and mates somewhere in town, and had been asked to leave Isis Noir, when she became aggressive.

The call from uniform to team 1 resulted in their helping a young lady to the triage area where she was found to have broken her arm in a fall.

A situation was calmed in the churchyard by team 2 when we saw two females arguing. On approaching them we realized that one of them was known to us as being homeless, and we had talked to her on several occasions. The other was also familiar and she reminded one of the team that we she given her flip flops the week before.  She gave her a hug saying she loved the “street angels”. We persuaded them both to go on their way as the high tension was clearly broken. We watched from the distance and saw them shake hands then walk off in opposite directions!

There was a serious incident at Back to the Nineties, in the early hours. Several police officers attended and we later talked to the Paramedic who treated a male who was taken to hospital in   a serious condition.
A couple of mopping up and wet wipe incidents for both teams, in each case managing to get the young person into a taxi or re united with mates.

Both teams had a break around 11.30 pm, to enable us to share communion together at Central Methodist Church followed by a hot drink. The prayer Pastors also joined us there.

A warmer, less festive night than last week with fewer large groups, resulting in a very different atmosphere. Excellent teamwork and a productive night. After a final walk though the churchyard and up and down Corporation Street where most of the clubs had closed, we walked back to base around 3am to debrief and pray together, tired but in good spirits!